IFIP Working Group 9.2 adopts an holistic approach to understanding the relationship of information and communication technologies and society, and stresses aspects of human responsibility for the effects of the technology. Its past work is reflected in the list of the Group’s publications.
Some of the themes which the Group is addressing currently in relation to social accountability include:
- critical infrastructures
- speed and communication
- materials and their finite nature
- markets and changing power relations
- growing maturation of citizens’ role in shaping society
- profit, people, planet: profit (short-term), people (mid-term), planet (long-term).
- sustainability of society, personal relations, and human nature
- legitimacy, society and ICT.
Some of the themes which the Group has addressed in the recent past include:
- Technology Assessment & its methods
- Codes of Ethics and professionalism
- Legal and regulatory frameworks
- Social cohesion and social exclusion
- Data Privacy and human rights issues
- Globalisation and its impact on democracy
- Globalisation and its impact on culture
- Ethics and leading edge technologies